Establishing the relationship
My process in working with an athlete is not taken lightly. After reviewing your consultation form, I schedule an initial consultation with the prospective athlete. This not a formal commitment to work together but rather the time for both of us to ask each other questions and go over the coaching process. If we feel comfortable and confident in working together, then the process can begin.
Training Plan Design and Delivery
The core of your personalized coaching is the training plan, which provides the framework and road map for your athletic success. Your program is designed and delivered to you via the online app TrainingPeaks. This app allows me to easily plan your training and make adjustments as required, acts as your personal training log, stores your device training files* and provides an easy method of communication between you and I. You’ll be able to access your training plan on a variety of platforms such as Android and iOS devices, via email and via your personal computer. (Internet connection is required).
Your training program is not written in stone and offers some flexibility in the event of injury, sickness, business trips, life’s curveballs etc. along with the on-going feedback you provide. Your training is typically delivered in one to three week blocks depending upon training phase/blocks so we can address any concerns in a shorter period of time versus developing six months in advance. From experience, programs developed too far into the future often need adjustments by the second or third week after start up.
*I require athletes to have at least one of the folllowing training tools - power meter, heart rate monitor and GPS running watches to better track your workouts, fitness trends and provide you the objective metrics to work with in your day to day training.
The key of any coach-athlete relationship is on going communication and feedback. Through TrainingPeaks, you can write post workout comments providing valuable feedback for me to read and adjust the plan accordingly. Please keep your feedback to the point yet as detailed as you can so I can understand exactly what you mean. The more detailed and to the point your comments, the better I can provide feedback and make adjustments to the schedule for you.
Email or phone questions are welcome however please be respectful of how much time you ask.
Your post workout feedback is critical to the success of your training program and helps shape the direction we will take.
Training File Management
As stated above, you will receive your scheduled training via TrainingPeaks. After completing a workout, upload your GPS, heart rate and/or power data into TrainingPeaks. There are numerous ways to sync and upload training files so please consult your manufacturer’s instructions. If in doubt you can ask me on how to best set this up. Your uploaded files will automatically sync to the planned training session(s) after which you can add your comments in the “post workout comments” box.
Clearly you expect me to provide you with the best training program to maximize your time and achieve your goals. I too have expectations of the athletes I work with;
· I expect you to follow the training prescribed for you as close as possible.
· I expect you to communicate ALL potential conflicts that may affect your ability to conduct your training to myself BEFORE I build your next schedule. Such as work schedules, vacations, work travel etc.
· I expect you to mark in advance your availability to train into TrainingPeaks as many weeks as you can in order to plan accordingly.
· I expect you to provide me with your realistic availability of training time, not what you “wish” or “think” you could do on a weekly basis.
· I expect to receive regular feedback from you in your own words via post workout comments via the post training assessment box I enter for each session.
· I expect to be informed and/or notified in the event of sickness or an injury.
· I expect open and honest feedback. This means no falsifying the completion of workouts or writing what you “think” the coach wants to read.
· I expect you to upload your training files in a timely manner (within 24hours) to allow me to stay on top of your program.
I get it that life gets in the way of our passion to train and race. As stated above, training programs are not written in stone and do allow for some flexibility from time to time.
Please inform me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE when the need arises for advice and to have your plan adjusted.
By adhering to the list of expectations outlined above, the need for last minute adjustments should not be an issue. I will do my best to make necessary adjustments in a timely fashion but please be realistic in your requests.
JVD Coaching is now accepting athletes for the 2023 race season. Contact me for a free consultation to discuss your goals and learn more about the coaching process.